Our dedicated team of eco warriors scour the world to bring you the best products we can find to help you live a life that is as eco friendly, ethical, sustainable, and zero waste as possible. We are passionate about finding alternatives for environmentally damaging, unethical every day products that many of us think we have to use.
We test all of the products that we stock, and we ensure that all of our products are ethically sourced and made.
We use our blog and social media pages to help educate our followers about environmental issues and about the products that we have discovered.
Until recently, many people didn't realise that you cannot recycle the majority of disposable barista coffee cups. We didn't know that most plastic toothbrushes cannot be recycled. We had no idea that so much of our garbage is sat in landfills, drip feeding toxins into our earth which in turn, cause many major illnesses. We didn't know how much pollution and plastic waste is killing marine wildlife and creating huge areas of ocean which are completely inhabitable. A lot of us think if we recycle, then it's okay. And we don't give much thought to how much waste we are actually generating or what happens to it when it leaves our hands.
Here are some of the discoveries that we made which in the end, shaped the idea for The Eco Shop and which drive us to work hard for this cause every single day:
- Plastic cannot be disposed of, so technically every piece of plastic ever created could still exist somewhere.
- In the first 10 years of this century, the world economy produced more plastic than in the entire 1900’s.
- Most of the hundreds of millions of tons of plastic that we produce every year is not recyleable or biodegradable, and is made of a material which is designed to last forever.
- An estimated 300 million plastic bags end up in the ocean due to escaping the garbage.
- World-wide, only 10% of plastic items are recycled.
- Toxic chemicals from our garbage are in our water, food, and bloodstream. Studies confirm they can cause cancer.
- Deadzones the size of Wales in the U.K and New Mexico in the U.S exist in the oceans – vast areas of ocean which are completely uninhabitable due to our pollution.
- The agriculture industry is the number ONE cause of greenhouse gasses.
- If we fed those in need with the grains fed to the animals we eat, we would end world hunger.